Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Counting and Rhythm

Today, one teacher talked to us about her student who cannot count. Her tempo would go suddenly or gradually faster or slower. I had witnessed it first-hand on a few rehearsals before the May Concert. It was a Torelli Double Concerto, and we let the students take turns playing the solo parts. This one volunteered to play one section, on the 2nd violin. All the solo parts are actually duets with the 1st violin solo. This student could not enter on time, and could not hold a steady tempo.

I reflected that I also have a few students who just cannot count. Lo and behold... after that exchange, my next student is on such example. At the end of the exchange, however, an idea suddenly popped up, that I suggest to ask the student be the metronome, while the teacher plays the melody. To see if the student can hold a steady tempo. Now another idea pops up, too... Maybe the teacher can deliberately play off-beat, like going faster or slower, irregularly. It would be interesting to see if the student got annoyed because we do not follow them (the metronome).

Anyway, during that lesson, I suggested to the student to stomp his feet on the beats. It worked for a short while, when the notes are simple. When the going gets tough, his hands and feet goes independent, and irrelevant. Perhaps I should let him learn the notes better before asking him to include stomping. Or maybe I should try "marching on the spot" rather than stomping. I'll try it out next time.

No comments: