Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mahler Symphony No.5

Just listened to this recording. Well, I won't be writing a good review. I loved the 4th movement, the slow movement. It sounds somewhat like Hollywood movie music, but that would probably draw lots of criticism from Mahler fan. It is among the sweetest and saddest music I've heard. When played well, it really draws the audience into their deepest depth of soul. Yet the other movements can be light and mischievious. It is such a delight to listen to this piece of music, long as it is. It is not an easy piece to listen to. I doubt any teenager would appreciate it on the first listen-through. Oh there are always some who can "get it" right away, of course. For the general audience, I would say that the music grows with you. The more mature you get, as you appreciate music, and appreciate life in general, the more you will grow to like this piece.

No comments: