Thursday, June 26, 2008

Listen to music

Recently a violin student told me that she does not like listening to music. I was very surprised by that. For someone to be interested in music enough to pick up violin and piano, and taken exams through to grade 6 and higher, to say that she does not like to listen to music, just play whatever she is learning.
It is like saying that a writer does not like reading. And I do no mean just "reading novels", but reading anything, including magazines and newspapers. Can a writer just pull everything from the "ether", from the "spirit", to write beautifully? How does the writer learn all the words, idioms, phrases, etc. without reading? Can a musician learn anything without listening to music? Just by listening to the teachers twice a week (one violin, one piano teacher)?
I do not about other writers, but I read a lot, even though I may not be reading high literature stuff. For music, I listen to a larger variety, too, though I prefer the Classical, Romantic, and Nationalistic music, and I also prefer orchestra music, for the rich and diverse tone qualities.
Even more so -- if I need to perform a particular piece of music, I listen to it all the time, and listen to different people's renditions.
So here is my advice to all music students -- listen to music, and not just those that you are currently learning (e.g. exam music). The more advanced your level of playing, the more variety of music you should listen to. Just like we sometimes re-read some books (novels included), we "re-listen" to some music, too, especially when it was performed live, because every performance brings to life what was originally written notes (dead). Even "re-listening" to recorded music could bring new inspirations, new discoveries. Even world famous violinists say that they attend others' performances, too, though they are no doubt very busy with their own already.

No comments: