Monday, June 30, 2008

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto

I just came across it the other day on eMusic the recordings of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2. Well, I used to play it when I was working in the orchestra. It was one of the more popular concertos being performed. I enjoyed playing each time, with a different soloist, brings new inspiration of the piece, even though much of the time I was busy playing my own part, the music was not focused on the piano solo alone.

No.2 is almost like speaking to the subconscious, the deep melody.

For No.3, it is the hollow melody at the opening that gets me. A very simple melody, without much supporting harmony, hollow, and haunting, at the same time. Like nostalgia, like catching something that is fleeting and vague, good but no longer available, sweet and sad at the same time. I find myself listening to these 2 great pieces over and over again.

No comments: